Why the name "Brambly Hedge Garden"?

I was looking for a name of our garden for some time. Then last summer I found a couple of wild Blackberries aka Brambly. They were some the best that I have ever eaten and suddenly I remembered something from a long long time ago.

As child I once was gifted a book series called "Brambly Hedge" by  British author and illustrator Jill Barklem. The stories were about a community of mice that lived at a Brambly Hedge and followed them through the different season. The pictures were incredibly detailed as you can see below. These pictures captured me for hours and I built big stories in my head what the rooms were used for and how they were built. The mice foraged, celebrated and helped each other in every possible way. All in all one of my all time favorite stories that sparks imagination, teaches valuable lessons and still leaves you with a warm fuzzy feeling in you stomach which makes these books awesome bedtime stories.

The blackberries that I harvested will be one of the first plants that will be planted in our garden. I hope the cuttings that I made last autumn will grow well and taste as delicious as their parents. Stay tuned for that 🐭

If you are looking for a great children book or just want to enjoy the artworks like I do to this very day you can get the book series on Amazon.de in German or Amazon.com in English. Let me know below if you enjoyed them as much as I did.

Image result for Jill Barklem
Jill Barklem

Comments

Popular Posts