The Story how the idea of the garden was born

Over the weekend I thought I will share a little story with you. The story of what it was that inspired me to start this project.

When I was a kid my grandparents had a beautiful garden. They grew vegetables and some the best fruits I have eaten in my entire life. Some of my best childhood memories are centered around the cherry tree in their garden. My grandfather showed me how to plant onions, how to use an axe and how to take care of it. I remember walks in the nearby forest talking with him about what is important in life.

After doing my metric exam I took a road trip across Italy in an old-timer car. Driving such a car made me think in other dimensions. 100km/h max speed, stopping every few hours to let the engine cool off and the occasional break down that could be fixed with the help of a tool box and a 150 page maintenance manual. This would be annoying to most people, but I had 2 month of time and no schedule. One of the stops was a farm located in the hills of Umbria. I spent a few weeks there and rediscovered a lot of the lost lust for nature. I tended the herb garden, took care of a few sheep and did some repair jobs on the farm. I started doing a lot of new things that I never really had been trained for and really enjoyed doing and learning new stuff again.

Once I came home I had to do something that every man in Austria has to do. Public service. As I could not stomach the thought of military at this specific time in my life I went for social service. I worked in a geriatric day care center for elders. In these few months I learned a lot about life. I took my job there very serious there and got more back from these people than words can describe.

All those impressions and many more changed my perspective on life itself. I wanted to to go back to my roots. Grow my own food, raise some animals and enjoy the outdoors. The heavily consume driven lifestyle that rules this planet is destroying it and we all know it. In my "storm and urge years" I got furious and sad about this fact. Being a bit wiser now I realize that I can only change the way I live life and by doing so inspire friends and family and of course the occasional reader of this blog :)

Here a little picture of Terra Buona. The farm in Italy - Umbria that inspired me so much:


Comments

Popular Posts